Michael A. Tessitore
111 North Orange Avenue
Orlando Florida 32801
- Business Litigation
- Bankruptcy & Creditor/Debtor Rights
- Trademark Litigation
Michael Tessitore is the firm’s leading practitioner of international commercial law, with decades of experience in cross-border litigation, including alternative dispute resolution, across the Americas. Working out of the firm’s Miami and Orlando offices, he focuses his practice on domestic and international litigation, creditors' rights, trademark litigation and bankruptcy, serving as a trusted advisor to a wide range of corporate and financial industry creditors, as well as court-appointed insolvency officers, including trustees, receivers and liquidators. Michael has extensive experience with both out-of-court workouts and formal debt restructuring in the U.S. and Latin America.
His proficiency has been recognized by his peers in The Best Lawyers in America® since 2010. He was selected as the Orlando Lawyer of the Year for Bet-The-Company Litigation from 2012 through 2015. He has also been recognized for multiple years in Florida Trend’s Legal Elite and as a Florida Super Lawyer and one of Orlando’s Best Lawyers by Orlando Magazine. He also holds the Martindale-Hubbell® AV Preeminent® rating, which is the highest possible rating for an attorney for both ethical standards and legal ability.
Mike is a Florida Supreme Court Certified Circuit Civil Mediator, Florida Supreme Court Qualified Arbitrator and serves as an adjunct professor at Stetson University College of Law, teaching courses in international litigation and arbitration.
Michael’s expertise also is informed by years of active service to the International Law, Business Law, and Alternative Dispute Resolution Sections of The Florida Bar. He has published many authoritative articles on international commercial legal issues, including U.N. Conventions, the U.S. Bankruptcy Code, foreign sovereign immunity, and forum/venue issues for the International Law Quarterly, the Florida Bar Journal and other publications.
- University of Notre Dame, B.A., with honors, 1987
- University of Florida, J.D., with high honors, 1992
- Stetson University College of Law, LLM, International Law and Business, summa cum laude, 1999
- 1992, Florida and U.S. District Court, Middle District of Florida, U.S. District Court, Southern District of Florida, U.S. District Court, Northern District of Florida, U.S. Supreme Court
- Florida Supreme Court Certified Circuit Mediator
- Florida Supreme Court Qualified Arbitrator
- The Florida Bar, Business Law Section
- The Florida Bar, Alternative Dispute Resolution Section
- The Florida Bar, International Law Section
- Executive Council Member
- Chairman, Faculty Liaison Committee, 2007-2008
- Chairman, Education Committee, 2006-2007
- Chairman, International Litigation and Arbitration Committee, 2004-2005
- The Hispanic Chamber of Commerce of Metro Orlando
- From Russia with Love: 11th Circuit Affirms the Utility of 28 U.S.C. §1782 in International Discovery, The Florida Bar Journal, November, 2016
- Southern District Announces Potential Game Changer in Fraudulent Transfer Litigation, International Law Section Gazette, October 2016;
- Florida Civil-law Notary: A Practical New Tool for Doing Business with Latin America, 32 Stetson Law Review 727, Summer 2003;
- The U.N. Convention on International Sales and the Seller's Ineffective Right of Reclamation Under the U.S. Bankruptcy Code, Willamette Law Review, Fall, 1999;
- Foreign Litigants Seek Forum to Litigate - Is Florida Open for Business?, Florida Bar Journal, March 2005;
- A Tiger to the South: The Emerging Importance of Mercosur, International Law Quarterly of the International Law Section of the Florida Bar, Fall, 1999;
- Immunity and the Foreign Sovereign: An Introduction to the FSIA, Florida Bar Journal, Nov. 1999;
- Fifth DCA Tackles International Forum Battle, International Law Quarterly, Winter, 2000;
- Give Us Your Tired, Your Poor, Your... Money Judgments: The Emergence of Florida's Uniform Out of Country Foreign Money Judgment Recognition Act, International Law Quarterly.
- Martindale-Hubbell AV® Preeminent™ Rated
- America's Most Honored Professionals - Top 1%
- The Best Lawyers in America®, selected for inclusion Bet-the-Company Litigation, 2012 - 2015, Bankruptcy and Creditor-Debtor Rights Law/Insolvency and Reorganization Law, Commercial Litigation 2010 - 2022
- Florida Trend’s Florida Legal Elite, Selected for inclusion 2009, 2012 - 2016
- Florida Super Lawyers, selected for inclusion 2006, 2010 - 2020
- Orlando Magazine Best Lawyers, selected for inclusion 2009 - 2019
- Fluent in Spanish